Table of contents
COMMANDMENTS OF GOD
The first and greatest Commandment:
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.
The second is like unto it:
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. (Mat. 22-37-39.)
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GOD
- I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt have no other gods beside Me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thyself any graven image, nor the likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down to them, nor serve them.
- Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep holy: six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the Sabbath to the Lord thy God.
- Honor thy father and thy mother, that it may be well with thee, and that thy days may be long upon the earth.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, nor his land, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any of his cattle, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.
THE THREE CARDINAL VIRTUES
Faith -- Hope -- Charity
THE SEVEN HOLY SACRAMENTS
- Unction with Chrism (Confirmation).
- Holy Eucharist (Holy Communion).
- Holy Orders (Priesthood).
- Unction with oil (Extreme Unction).
THE SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Fear of God.
THE FRUITS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
- Blessed are they That mourn; for they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth.
- Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness; for they shall be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful; for they shall obtain mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall be called the sons of God.
- Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake; for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
- Blessed are ye, when men revile you and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad; for great is your reward in Heaven. (Mat. 5:3 12.)
THE SEVEN CORPORAL WORKS
- To feed the hungry.
- To give drink to the thirsty.
- To clothe the naked.
- To show hospitality to strangers.
- To visit the sick.
- To visit the imprisoned.
- To bury the dead.
THE SEVEN SPIRITUAL WORKS OF MERCY
- To admonish sinners.
- To instruct the ignorant.
- To counsel the doubtful.
- To pray to the Lord for the salvation of thy neighbor.
- To comfort the sorrowful.
- To bear wrongs patiently.
- To forgive all injuries.
THE SEVEN MORTAL SINS
- Envy (Jealousy).
- Gluttony (Overfeeding).
- Indolence (Laziness).
THE FOUR LAST THINGS TO BE REMEMBERED
THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE CHURCH
- To attend Divine Services on Sundays and Holy days.
- To keep fasts appointed by the Church.
- To have confession of sins and receive the Holy Communion once or more every year.
- To contribute to the support of the Church.
- To say morning and evening prayers to God.
THE CONFESSION BEFORE THE SPIRITUAL FATHER
I, a sinner, confess to the Lord God Almighty, One in the Holy Trinity, to the All-pure Virgin Mary, Mother of God, to my holy Guardian Angel, to all Saints, and to you, my spiritual Father, all my sins.
PRAYER AFTER CONFESSION OF SINS
For these and all other known and unknown sins I am heartfully sorry, that I have offended and angered the Good God against me; I repent sincerely and I promise, with help of God, to better my life. Wherefore, I humbly ask you, my Spiritual Father, to give me salutary penance and absolution.
THE PRAYER BEFORE HOLY COMMUNION
I believe, O Lord, and confess, that Thou art, in very truth, the Christ, the Son of the Living God, Who didst come into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. And I believe that this is, of a truth, Thine all-pure Body, and that this is Thine own precious Blood. Wherefore, I beseech Thee, have mercy upon me, and forgive my transgressions, whether voluntary or involuntary; whether of word or of deed; whether committed with knowledge or in ignorance. And vouchsafe that I may partake without condemnation of Thine all-pure Mysteries unto the remission of my sins and unto life eternal. Amen.
Of Thy Mystical Supper, O Son of God, accept me to-day as a communicant; for I will not speak of Thy Mystery to Thine enemies, neither, like Judas, will I give Thee a kiss; but like the thief will I confess Thee: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.
And let not this participation in Thy Holy Mysteries be unto judgment upon me, or unto condemnation, O Lord, but unto the healing of soul and body. Amen.
EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE
(The questions that you may ask yourself before confessing)
- Have you had doubts in matter of Faith?
- Have you murmured against God in adversity, or despaired of His mercies?
- Do you know the Ten Commandments?
- Have you sinned against any of these Commandments?
- Do you attend Church regularly?
- Have you attended dances, theaters or other entertainments during Lent?
- Have you believed or consulted fortune tellers?
- Have you neglected your morning and evening prayers?
- Have you spoken with levity of Religious or Sacred objects?
- Have you taken the Name of God in vain?
- Have you sworn falsely?
- Have you cursed yourself, or others or any creatures?
- Have you angered others?
- Have you kept Holy the day of the Lord?
- Have you done any servile work not of necessity on Sunday or Holy days?
- Have you honored your parents, superiors, teachers, also your Spiritual Fathers?
- Have you shown due respect to aged persons?
- Have you desired, or hastened the death of any one?
- Have you oppressed any one?
- Have you borne hatred, or desired revenge?
- Have you refused to speak to others?
- Have you injured other people in any manner?
- Have you caused enmity between others?
- Have you been in bad company?
- Did you read indecent books?
- Have you been guilty of unclean songs, words or actions?
- Have you willfully entertained impure thoughts, or desires?
- Have you taken anything that did not belong to you?
- Have you deceived anyone in time of buying or selling anything?
- Have you borne false witness against any one?
- Have you passed a rash judgment upon any person?
- Have you coveted anything that belongs to another?
- Have you gone to confession and Holy Communion at least once a year?
- Have you kept fasts of the Church?
- Do you mention your living or dead parents and relatives in your prayers?
- Do you contribute for the support of your Church?
Wo imya Otza i Sina i Svyataho Dukha. Amin.
Slays Tebe Bozhe nash, slava Tebe.
Tzaryu Nebesnyi,. Uteshitelu, Dushe istiny, izhe vezde syi, i vsa ispolnyayai, sokrovische blahih, i zhizni podatelu, priidi i vselisya v ni i ochisti ni ot vsakya skverni i spasi Blazhe dushy nasha.
Svyati Bozhe, Svyatyi krepkyi, svyatyi bezsmertnyi, pomilui nas.
Slays Otzu i Sinu, i Svyatomy Dukhu, i nini i prisno i vo veki vekov. Amin.
Presvyataya Troitze, pomilui nas; Hospodi, ochisti hrechi nasha: Vladiko prosti bezzakoniya nasha: Svyatyi, poseti i istzeli nemoschi nasha imene Tvoyeho radi. Hospodi pomilui. Slava Otzu i synu, . . .
Otche nash izhe yesi na nebeseh, da svyatitsa imya Tvoye, da priidet tzarstvie Tvoye, da budet vola Tvoya yako na nebesi i na zemli. Hleb nash nasushchnyi dazd' nam dnes': I ostavi nam dolhi pasha, yakozhe i my ostavla yem dolznikom nashim: i ne vvedi pas vo iskusheniye, no izbavi nas ot lukavaho. Yako Tvoye yest' tzarstvo, i sila, i slava, Otza, i Sina, i Svyataho Dukha, nini i prisno, i vo veki vekov. Amin'.
Priidite poklonimsa Tzarevi nashemu Bohu. Priidite poklonimsa i pripadem Hristu, Tzarevi nashemu Bohu. Priidite, poklonimsa i pripadem samomu Hristu, Tzarevi Bohu nashemu.
Veruyu vo yedinaho Boha Otza, Vsederzhi tela, Tvortza nebu i zemli, vidimim zhe vsem i nevidimim.
I vo edinaho Hospoda Iisusa Hrista, Sina Bozhiya, Yedinorodnaho, izhe of Otza rozdennaho prezhde vseh vek. Sveta of Sveta, Boha istina ot Boha istina, rozhdenna, nesotvorena, yedinosushchna Otzu, Imzhe vsa bisha..
Nas radi chelovek i nasheho radi spaseniya, sshedshaho s nebes i voplotivshahosia of Dukha Svyata i Marii Devi i vochelovechshasia..
Raspitaho zhe za ni pri Pontistem Pilate, stradaysha i pohrebanna..
I voskresshaho v tretyi den' po pisaniem..
I vosshedshaho na nebesa, i sediashcha odesnuyu Otza..
I paki hryadushchaho so slavoyu suditi zhivim i mertvym, Yehozhe tzarstviyu ne budet kontza..
I v Dukha Sviataho, Hospoda zhivotvoryashchaho, Izhe ot Otza ischodiashchaho, Izhe so Otzem i Sinom spoklaniamyema i sslavima, hlaholayshaho proroki..
Vo Yedinu Sviatuyu, Sobornyu i Apostol' skuyu Tzerkov'..
Ispomeduyu yedino Kreshcheniye vo ostavleniye grehov..
Chayu voskreseniya mertvih: I zhizni budushchaho veka. Amin..
Bohoroditze Devo, raduisa, Blahodatnaya Marie, Hospod' s Toboyu; blahoslovenna Ti v zhenach, i blahosloven plod chreva Tvoyeho, yako Spasa rodila yesi dash nashih..
Dostoino yest yako voistinu blazhiti Tia Bohoroditzu, prisnoblazhennuyu i preneporochnuyu, i Mater' Boha nasheho; Chestneishuyu Heruvim i slavneishuyu bez sravneniya serafim, bez istleniya Boha Slova rozhdshuyu suschuyu Bohoroditzu Tia velichaem..
Pod Tvoyu milost' pribehayem Bohoroditze Devo, molenyi nashich ne prezri v skorbech, no ot bed izbavi nas yedina chistaya i blahoslovennaya..
Preslavnaye Prisnodevo, Mati Hrista Boha, prinesi nashu molitvu Sinu Tvoyemu i Bohu nashemu, da spaset Toboyu dushi nasha..
Spasi Hospodi Judi Tvoya, i blahoslovi dostoyanie Tvoe, pobedi praeoslavnim hristianom na soprotivnija daruya, i Tvoye sohraniaya Krestorn Tvoim Zhitel'stvo..